Saturday, February 13, 2010

Valentine's Day Sustainable Sips

Sustainable sips were in place today for the betterment of the environment and my own enjoyment. Sustainable and organically farmed and grown wines are becoming more available and much more appetizing than they were in past years. There are certified organic wines and sustainable and organic farmed wines that are not certified but are very stringent in their methods and procedures all the same. I may change to consuming sustainable wines only.

I spent my Saturday before Valentine's Day getting beautiful in my salon, then on to my spa which is conveniently located a short walk from my favorite wine store, where I walked past mounds of snow with flip flops to preserve my pedicure treat to taste some of the most delectable wines under $15 that I have tasted in a while. Whew!

My day was extra special because Max Evans was presiding over the tasting and he was one of the most welcoming people that has watched me grow. So coupled with the fact that I haven't seen him in a while, the day was extra special.

My tasting experience graced the regions of Southern France and Northern Italy with some new favorites to a familiar winery but a different grape. So there was a 2007 di Lenardo Chardonnay which was delightful enough for me to buy. Nestled in the Provencal hills of the Cotes de Luberon region, it was rich, more complex than I expected, and had hints of coconut which was a new one for me and some apple pie, which is always great. The flavor was great for sipping or with food.

Another great group of wines are from Chapoutier from the Roussillon region and the layers of flavors are nothing less than surprising and pleasantly welcome. Chaptoutier Bila-Haut Cotes Du Roussillon 2008 and Chapoutier Bila-Haut Occultum Lapidem 2007 were part of the group at $11.98 and 21.98 respectively.

Then there was 2008 Le Paradou Rouge Luberon from 40-50 year old vines in the Luberon mountains, sustainably farmed and harvested by hand and the land plowed by mules. Granache and Syrah make this wine a delightful addiction with its black raspberry and smokey, meaty notes balanced with earth. It could not have been concocted any better. Can you say $10.98? Say it, believe it, accept it, and sip all weekend long.

Moving to another great maker, Cartlidge & Browne, the 2005 Rabid Red was a pleasant surprise and quite the value. $9.98 for a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Petit Sirah, touched with a little Merlot and Syrah. You get fruitful, mouthy, robust, dark, rich, raspberry, cherry, mocha, spicy oak...and you can drink it best over the next 18-24 months! Wow!

All of these wines would be great with chocolate, winter, romance, cheese, or all alone. Versatile and able to handle whatever you plan for them. They are the perfect date.

No comments: