Monday, March 1, 2010

My New "Hands Down" Favorite Pinot Noir

After a busy couple of months in 2010, I deserved to treat myself to celebrate a great and accomplished ending of 2009 and a good and busy 2010. Well I went to my favorite hide-out, the Ritz Carlton and with my feast, which I couldn't enjoy due to my exhaustion, I sipped a new surprise. The Belle Glos Meiomi Pinot Noir is nothing but a true delight.

The name Meiomi (pronounced May-OH-mee) means “coast” in the language of the native Wappo tribe, and best symbolizes the origin of this Pinot Noir. Grapes for Meiomi are grown in the vast Sonoma Coast appellation, stretching along the California coast north from Mendocino County down south to Marin County. The Belle Glos wines come from Joseph Wagner, who chose the name Belle Glos (pronounced BELL GLOSS), to honor his grandmother, Lorna Belle Glos Wagner, a co-founder of Caymus Vineyards. Need I say more! You know the history, you know that you won't be disappointed.

This wine has a bright crimson color and a cream nose that takes you to another place. This is a complex, multilayered palate-pleasing wine to the after the finish that keeps you wanting more. The complex brown spices and a slight smokiness are sweetened by ripe dark fruit that enlivens the aroma and palate. This beautifully balanced texture and soft, supple tannins lead on to a luxurious finish that is great with port, cheese, or just sipping.

I had a wonderful pork chop with marinated mushrooms, mashed potatoes, parmesean and spinach risotto balls, and selected cheeses and antipasto. When I say perfect, that is what I mean. While the bottle was $62 at the Ritz Carlton, you can find it for $33 elsewhere.

Whatever you want it to be for you, it can be...and it is. Salut!

No comments: