Sunday, June 8, 2008

Saturday Sip - June 7, 2008

Well, I am getting back into my normal Saturday Sip routine and I started a little late but it was all well with me. We are going to travel from Italy to Spain to South Africa and returning to the familiar West coast of California and Washington State.

My normal first sipping stop, I went only to continue cultivating my taste buds back to normalcy and I tasted some delights for the summer. I began with a wonderfully light and affordable 2006 Italian summer white, Firriato Altavilla Della Corete Bianco at $14.98! It has a brilliant golden color to start with complex aromas of pear, lemon peel, wildflowers, and a slightly saline minerality. The bouquet experience I enjoyed the most was the tropical-like flowers. In the mouth the wine was wonderfully fresh and sunny with flavors of ground ginger and sage that I initially noted on the nose. This is not totally uncommon but it was an interesting treat. The body was solid and balanced, with a structure approaching that of a red wine. You definitely want to serve this nicely chilled. Rate: 9+ layered nose/9 taste/9 finish.

Food Wines:
2006 Adegas Gran Vinum Albarino Nessa, Spain - A definite beach wine, this leaves the mouth tingling with a stony, salty acidity. The texture is lovely with a contrasting white peach fruitiness and round flavors of lime. Pour it with a plate of mariscos and other summer shellfish. This Spanish Albarino had a strong pineapple nose and mouth-feel, which was a little pungent on its lasting finish. It was a little too much for me. This did not quite make my "buy" list but with the right foods and a citrus loving palate, this is a nice summer wine. My wine friend Lisa would love this! Rate: 8 nose/8+ palate/8 finish.
2006 Brochelle Zinfandel, Paso Robles, California - My favorite of all wines time and time again. The first thought of this favorite was the smoky nose and spicy taste that was not in past vintages. Though a true favorite for many a grilled meat and chicken, it is not for the meek. It is full and delicious in taste and color. Layers upon layers upon layers of elegantly perfumed and richly structured fruit that dances excitedly on the palate. An essence of warm, fresh baked gingerbread cookies can be found within. You will uncover notes of deep caramel, black currants and blackberry jam. There is a densely textured mouth-feel and grand finale comprising of a kiss of pumpkin pie spice. A treat for Shiraz lovers! Rate: 9+ color/9+nose/9 with food or cheese/8 without food or cheese/9 finish.
2007 Stafford Hill Cuvee Cameo, Willamette Valley - This wine will be great with a raw bar or shellfish, chicken with a spicy sauce, mixed greens with apples and a vinaigrette dressing and a main course of sausage soup or flavored seafood. This steel tank fermented white is okay and did not make my favorites list. Rate: 9 nose/8 palate/8 finish.

Not my favorites:
2007 Stafford Hill Oregon Riesling - Rate: 6

No comments: